Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Day Forty-One: "Howl" (11 February) 56 mi

I knew the winds would be bad today, but I figured they would be mainly from the north. I'm not used to variable winds in Florida, but today in Arizona I found out what they were. It seemed the winds would counteract every direction I went, blowing dust into my face and mouth. 12 mph on average, would gust up to 19 mph. It was dreadful, me sluggishly crawling at 9-11 mph. While it was mostly flat today, I did have some hills. And the worst part was that the day started off all downhill with no headwind, me going about 27 mph without pedaling. The winds tested me, howled in my face and aimed to tear me down like a tree in a hurricane. But I persisted, knowing that if I made it to Parker today, I would be rewarded with California tomorrow (and another century ride). But regardless of the mileage I'll put in tomorrow, at least it'll be in the place I have lusted after for four years. California. Wow, it's incredible to think I'll be there tomorrow. I'm so glad I decided not to drive there last summer; it only seems right to visit California by my own power. Maybe I should change this to Kyle In Cal.

4 comments:

  1. We are packin our bags. Be careful on this desolate stretch of 62. The Marines at 29 Palms await you at the other end.
    See ya soon......

    Parentals

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kyle! I just recently read about your travels across country (on the TSA website) that are to end up in Ventura CA soon. I tried to email you via the link the TSA site provided, but it doesn't seem to be working. Is there some other way that I can email you? My 8 year old son and his class would love to meet you! We live close to Ventura. Thank you and best wishes!
    Lynetta Reid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's excellent! It would be an honor. My phone is 772-332-3623

      Delete
  3. Btw, the winds have been bad here the past several days, too. Hopefully they will calm down before you get here. They are quite dreadful...

    ReplyDelete