Thursday, February 5, 2015

Day Thirty-Five: "Divide and Conquer" (5 February) 63 mi

Took another late start from the motel in Deming because this ride was to be about 62 miles. And with the good tailwind expected I knew I could get to Lordsburg in a reasonable amount of time. There also happen to be a slight decline which helped propel me forward at about 22 miles an hour at times. I crossed the continental divide today at 4585 feet. It was a milestone that wasn't as emotional was say the Mississippi River, but nonetheless it was important, significant to me. I stopped at a gas station about 20 miles out of town and the clerks were very much interested in my trip asking where I was coming from, where I was going to. They said they get a lot of cyclists coming in doing the continental divide ride. I also had my first lunchable in probably 15 years, mainly because they had nothing else in the refrigerator section.  I'm about 10 miles from Lordsburg, I got this terrible clambering sound in my ear. Turns out it was a staple that was lodged into my rear tire and this lead to my fifth flat (fourth on I-10). Nonetheless I was able to get to Lordsburg and off the interstates forever!






No comments:

Post a Comment