Sunday, February 8, 2015

Day Thirty-Eight: "Life in the fast lane" (8 February) 77 mi

I have a very long day today. The 20 miles from Globe to Superior took me almost 3 hours to complete. There was a 7% grade most of the way, with steep climbs, the steepest I had ever seen in my life. With clipless pedals it can be nerve-racking to see the steep climbs because if you run out of the gears and cannot move any further you will fall over. There were a few times that I stopped before going in continuing up these mountains both to collect my breath and also to mentally prepare myself. After a quick late breakfast in Superior, I began to descend into the valley of the sun. It was a glorious just sent through Gonzales Pass and soon I was back in the desert. I had been here six months before for my internship during the summer. To be back in this beautiful area is shocking, just how quickly I was able to make it here. As much as I want to take a rest day, I know I must continue on to California. Because it is a mission I am on, and it must be completed. Here I go.




No comments:

Post a Comment