Monday, January 19, 2015

Day Eighteen: "1,000" (19 January) 45 mi

Said farewell to Lois this morning after a hug and a brief exchange. I do not know if our paths will cross again but that's the beauty of a trip like this, even how we met. She went south to Conroe while I headed on my nemesis, my antithesis, US 190 to Huntsville. Around Onalaska I was pulled over by a police officer who informed me that they had received calls that I was riding in the middle of the road. I assured her I was not riding in the middle of the road and she was very understanding, particularly because of how rough the shoulders are around Texas. She was extremely polite and I think just pulled me over for my safety and well-being which is always appreciated. So on I continued for about 3 miles before stopping to celebrate my 1000 mile mark with a protein bar on the side of the road. It was a milestone I had to acknowledge because it's going to be another 1000 before I can celebrate again! Passed through some beautiful forests, including Sam Houston National Forest. Now I'm on the porch in Huntsville Texas relaxing in the seventies° weather. Lois, I wish you the best. Happy trails.


2 comments:

  1. 1000 miles--unbelievable in so short a time. Glad you celebrated; you deserve to. I like meaningless tasks with just stream-of-consciousness thoughts here and there. It helps me settle down, keeps anxiety at bay. Yeah, cheap therapy for me while I'm walking or cycling on my three-wheeler. Hugs, Grandma

    ReplyDelete