Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Day Two: "Genuine Interest" (3 January) 78 mi

Before I begin, I realize I've been behind on posts. This is due to poor internet connection. I'll be adding the past few days today.

Left Lake City, Fl around 8:30 after a night in a backyard hammock. My host Jesse drove me to US 90 where I headed west in a light drizzle and fog. I stopped in Live Oak to grab breakfast at the Dixie Grill which had a good crowd that Saturday morning. A big cheese omelette, rye toast, hash browns and a hotcake. Filled up, I went out to leave. Getting my gear situated, two elder bikers asked me where I was going (they saw the panniers, a universal symbol for going far away). I told them about my trip, and one of them said he used to tour back in the day. He wished me well then they motored off. This set the tone for the next 6 hours as I continued west on 90. As I rode on the shoulder I heard two sharp beeps and got passed by a man on a scooter with a hefty load of gear. He continued at a modest pace, disappearing over the hills. The sun was out as it got around 11:30 when I saw what appeared to be a cyclist a quarter mile ahead. Sure enough, it was. He too had panniers, four bright lime green ones. He was heading east, and it was no surprise I saw him since this is a popular cross-country route. I gave him a big thumbs up but that was all. I caught up to the scooter guy who had stopped to rest under the I-10, US 90 junction near Live Oak. He offered me a cold beer and a joint of which I declined, and said he had done touring back in his younger days. We shook hands. Ted was his name. A black leather jacket, a big toothless smile, and a lot of camping gear. I left, and he would pass occasionally giving a friendly honk in support.
After a magnificent crossing over the Suwannee, I passed through the towns of Lee and Madison. In Madison I grabbed a "lunch" of a protein bar and a gatorade. It was here that the hills began to rear their ugly heads. They kicked my ass, and I learned the hard way not to underestimate the seemingly harmless hill country of Florida.
Around 4:15 I arrived in Monticello after 78 miles. My hosts, Zef and 00na, met me at their property where they had a cottage for me to sleep in. A bed, shower, wifi, kitchen and more welcomed a very tired cyclist and soon I would be over to their home to have dinner of chicken, rice and vegetables. While dinner was excellent, I enjoyed the conversation the most. I told them my story, they told me theirs. We must have chatted a good two hours before we all called it a night. So as I lay in bed that night I tried to think of the theme for today. While the hills were tumultuous, they certainly did not overcome any of the support that I received that day. And it wasn't just halfhearted remarks. It was truly genuine interest.

Photos:

My host Jesse and I in Lake City.



















The signs can be deflating.

Just east of Live Oak, Fl.




















Big breakfast for a hungry cyclist.







Lee, Fl. Taken in front of the baptist church.




















The cottage in Monticello. 

No comments:

Post a Comment