Saturday, January 10, 2015

Day Five: "Running On Empty" (6 January) 90 mi

90 miles. Nine zero. The longest ride of my life. I left the trailer in Blountstown at around 34 degrees, riding on a country road before hitting Highway 20. I could write at length my emotional state and thoughts, but I'll spare you the pity party. I think what made the day worse than the mileage was the lack of scenery change. Pinewoods and occasional open fields. Two towns I passed through (Ebro and Youngstown). 20 became my new loathed number. No longer US 90, my old friend. I had a pathetic lunch of a Quest Bar and a cold chicken salad sandwich from a gas station to celebrate my halfway point of 45 miles. I needed water. Badly. I prayed that just around the corner there would be something to quench my thirst. And there was. Piled up on Gatorade and water in Ebro and headed out. Fast forward and at long last reached Niceville, arriving at my host family's home at 90 miles exactly. I was in shambles, cold and mumbling incoherently. But I did it. And that's all that matters.

Photos:

Right after I left Ebro

First sign of Gulf water

On Highway 20 in Choctaw

Summary of ride


No comments:

Post a Comment