Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Day Nineteen: "Dialogue" (20 January) 88 mi

Woke at 6 and my host Jennie whipped up a delicious breakfast of scrambled egg tacos and jam covered rolls. I had decided before I went to bed that I'd go for 88-89 miles today to better manage my next two days of mileage. That night before I left to head out to Carmine I visited Sam Houston State University which is right across the street. What a beautiful campus and what an interesting town Huntsville was. It truly was the pleasant surprise of the trip thus far. I knew very little about Sam Houston before I visited Huntsville except maybe for the name sake of the fourth largest city in the United States, but now I do know a lot about Sam Houston. Jennys gallery and house, funny enough, was right across the street from the final home of Sam Houston. I cancelled with my host in Bryan and went southwest to Carmine. Stayed on the shoulder mostly as it was relatively smooth (shocking). Also went through Brenham, home to Blue Bell Ice Cream!
But I didn't stop for ice cream, as much as I wanted to. Instead I just got another protein bar at a gas station. How pathetic. 

It turns out my host Carol lives off a gravel road so I had to walk up the bike, but it was worth it because her property was absolutely gorgeous overlooking cow pastures and beautiful forests. She had also made a tray of different foods including some chicken and dumplings rice and a half of a whole cake. I ate it all in just this reckless, caveman-like manner. She's been hosting for 10 years and she has a bunkhouse in a shed that has some beds a little kitchen and some Wi-Fi, so I cooked breakfast that morning before I left for the start of day 20.





No comments:

Post a Comment