Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Day Three: "Riders On The Storm" (4 January) 18 mi

I left the cottage in Monticello relatively late at almost 10:00 thinking I don't have to worry about getting to Tallahassee as it's 30 miles to the next host. I immediately regretted that decision once I saw the radar; a vicious cold front was approaching with severe storms and a tornado warning. Knowing I might have two hours to get to Tallahassee, I scurried along through Monticello heading west again on US 90. My phone is mounted right in front of me so I kept the radar tab open. I took 2 stops, knowing this was solely about getting to shelter (within a reasonable distance to get picked up by my hosts). Eventually I had reached my limit before I would get caught in the storm, so I sought refuge at a BP station and got picked up there. The host family that night are close friends of my family and we had a nice dinner and caught up. I took my bike to a local shop and had them adjust the rear derailleur and lubricate the chain. Not many pictures from this day, as it was stressful and important that I get to my destination safely and swiftly.

Stuck at the BP

What I had to race

At the table

No comments:

Post a Comment