Saturday, January 10, 2015

Day Seven: "Panhandling" (8 January) 56 mi

Left Niceville in brutal 21 degree weather and an icy driveway. When I woke up the temperature was 19, but I won't cheat the stats. Libby and Howard gave me a gray fleece to wear (I still have it) and sent me off in the warmest way they could muster. I could not feel my hands the first hour, so I stopped in a Tom Thumb to thaw out. It helped, and before I knew it I was in Navarre Beach. US 98 had a horrible shoulder that was grooved and tattered. That didn't stop the sheriff from telling me to get on it (even though there was no traffic). I obliged, but only when he was in view. It was a 63 or so mile ride along US 98 on the beaches. Got to Pensacola with time to spare before sunset where I spent the night with host Will in a very nice historic neighborhood near downtown. Will had done the cross-country trek before with a friend, whom I also met. A bunch of his buddies came over and we played Cards Against Humanity. It was a nice break from the dread of winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment