Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Day Twenty-Six: "Mi amigo el sol" (27 January) 36 mi

I had the luxury of leaving late this morning and even though it was chilly out it wasn't as bad as the days before. I gobbled down some cereal at the motel, the Economy Inn, but then I decided to get a breakfast burrito at a local joint. It was a mother and a daughter and it was their kitchen and they cooked up a nice but small breakfast burrito for me with eggs and potatoes. So with that I headed west on one of the ranch roads next to interstate 10 and knew I could take my time. Ozona is only 36 miles away and I figured I'd stop and take a lot of pictures. The problem was, there was nothing interesting enough to really take a picture of. So I continue on, stopped for a few times to get some snacks to grab some good photos here and there. But one of the things that happened was eight deer now, before it was only one, raced alongside me behind a fence. It was a sight to see for sure as I played "A Horse With No Name" on my iPod. It was a magical moment one of those flashes in the pan of surrealism in mysticism. It was my gateway into the Wild West. So then I continued on, reaching Ozona. Gives me a lot of time to think, which could be a bad thing. The other reason, well there were two reasons, that I stopped in Ozona was for one the next town's 50 miles away so that wasn't going to happen. And it gave Lois a chance to catch up to me so we can split the motel cost, plus it'll be nice to have her around.

Another interesting thing that happened today was that I seem to have crossed into the Great Plains, really unexpectedly. I went up this slight incline and then suddenly...flat! It was as if I was in Florida all over again.  Add to that that despite it being the dead of winter, it got really hot today and I was at my bare minimum of layers.


No comments:

Post a Comment