Friday, January 2, 2015

Day One: "And So It Begins" (2 January) 80 mi

After a night in Jacksonville with my dad at the Sheraton, we headed out to Jacksonville Beach to begin the adventure of a lifetime. After dipping my tires in the Atlantic Ocean I set out west on US 90 towards Jacksonville. The weather was overcast, slight drizzle. My dad offered vehicle support for nearly 23 miles, and we finally broke off around I-295 in West Jacksonville. I continued on two-lane US 90 for the remaining 60 miles, passing through the towns of Baldwin, Macclenny, and Sanderson. I had a host in Lake City, so knew I had to go the 80 miles to get there. My lunch was a beef jerky stick and a smart popcorn bag from a meat and grocery store in Sanderson. I also had GU energy packs and Oh Yeah! Victory bars. The ride was challenging (my longest prior in a day was 71 miles, that was shattered). I arrived in Lake City around 3:40, at which time the sun finally broke through the clouds. It was as if Mother Nature decided to reward my 6 and a half hour ordeal.
I met my host Jesse at the Papa John's off 90 in Lake City where he works. After moving the bike to the back of the kitchen we went to a local dive called Phisheads where I had a very big fish sandwich and clam chowder. Overall, great first day. Certainly bold to go 80 miles the first day, but it was a message to myself: go hard or go home. Tomorrow I will be riding to Monticello, Fl. I have accommodations set up there. Let's get some photos!

*As much as I love Blogger, I'll be posting much more to Instagram. So remember it's instagram.com/kyle_to_cal*

Dipping the tires in the Atlantic Ocean (pier in the background)

The sign tells me I'm halfway there

Westbound US 90 just outside Duval County














Finally in Lake City, Florida. And with sunshine!





No comments:

Post a Comment