Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Day Twenty-Seven: "Century" (28 January) 107 mi

Started off the day pretty early, left with Lois before the sun came up. We had decided to go to Fort Stockton, Texas which would be a 107 mile trip. This was to be my first century ride and I had a little trouble sleeping that night. But I had faith in myself and I knew I would be able to do it if I just paced myself and got a good rhythm during the day. That changed pretty quickly. 10 miles in, right after the sun rose, I got my first flat tire of the trip. I just knew that would happen on my first attempt of the century ride. Frustrated, I fumbled with the tires as Lois helped me and then she went on her way as I put the wheel back on the bike. So I continued along on the shoulder of interstate 10. Another 10 miles go by, and I hear the infamous hiss. My second flat. This time I was prepared. I have my tirelevers in my back pocket as well as my pump in my back pocket to save me time. This one took about five minutes. Instead of bungeeing on the sandals I just ditched them on the side of the road, so that freed up a little weight. I continued on maybe 15 more miles until, you guessed, flat number three. This one caused me to go into a hysterical meltdown. I was incensed at the idea that this trip was to be derailed by three flat tires in just two hours. I knew that I could sulk all I wanted but it wasn't going to change the situation. So I decided it was time to ditch the shoulder and ride right on the road, despite the breath of law-enforcement on my back. I rode along, anxious of the next flat. It never came. I covered 107 miles, having to adjust my time in changing when I would stop to have a break. But that didn't matter anymore. I made it to Fort Stockton, Texas.

1 comment:

  1. Just read where you are bike riding from Jacksonville Beach, FL to Ventura, CA to raise awareness and funds for Tourette Syndrome and TSA.
    We live in Nashville, TN – I know that would be a stretch to go through Nashville but I wanted to let you know we are cheering for you! My son is graduating from McGavock High School this year and we just registered for college at the Art Institute in Nashville…Never thought we would get here much less that he would be excited about going to college! Hang in there! Turn the peddle a couple of times for Noah! And, Thank you!

    ReplyDelete